Search This Blog

Sunday, February 12, 2017

Welcome!

Welcome all!! 

To introduce my project, I want to tell a story. Throughout all of my childhood, I was often building new toys to play with or making a craft. I would draw and push the limits of my creativity. This was all thanks to my grandfather! He taught me to embrace my imagination. This mentality pushed me to take a variety of physics and math courses and I fell in love with the STEM fields. I intend to pursue a degree in electrical engineering, an option that is not common for females. In fact, it was unheard of in the past. 

Through this project, I hope to discover the motivation behind the recent push for females in engineering. There are a variety of programs that have recently been implemented to encourage females to pursue engineering. I intend to look into the differences in treatment between males and females within the field. The tips of obstacles females face and the different characteristics they can bring to the field. I intend to argue for the benefits of having both genders in the field. 

My internship is through MJS Designs, a printed circuit board design company. I will receive an overview of the company to gain a wholesome understanding of the building process and then will spend the majority of my time working alongside the head electrical engineer to gain an in-depth look into the design process.

To learn more about my project, take a look at my project proposal. I encourage you to follow my blog if you are interested in modern day female engineers and the manner in which they are overcoming traditional barriers. Subscribe to my blog HERE!

-Elizabeth 


3 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read more about your work with MJS! Will you be creating something associated with a circuit board as your project's final product, like a design or a model?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Nina! While at MJS I will merely be assisting them with their current projects rather than designing my own. They have people hire them to build the boards with specific ideas in mind so while I will work with the design team I wont make anything myself. More to come in a blog post soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will your initial research be based on the marketing of engineering to women or on the incentives that schools may use to increase the diversity of the classroom?

    ReplyDelete